Asia and Florida have a longstanding and prosperous commercial relationship, with bilateral trade and investment on a strong growth trajectory for many years. Bilateral merchandise trade has grown to over US$ 30 billion annually, with the region now representing about one third of Florida’s total trade with the world. China remains Florida’s most important trading partner and export destination in the region, but commercial ties with India, Vietnam, Malaysia, and other countries in South East Asia have grown significantly in recent years.
For companies based in Asia, Florida offers cutting-edge products and services, as well as attractive investment opportunities. In addition to providing access to the vast US market, Florida is also the gateway to high-growth, increasingly sophisticated economies throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, with more than 650 million consumers and a nominal economic output of US$6 trillion.
In addition to Florida’s status as a premier global travel destination, the Sunshine State is home to some of America’s most dynamic and innovative companies. Florida’s leading economic sectors include:
- Advanced Manufacturing: Florida is home to over 31,000 manufacturing companies, employing a third of a million people across a variety of industry segments.
- Aviation and Aerospace: Florida has the 3rd-largest aerospace cluster in the United States, as well as a vast commercial aviation industry. Combined, the different industry segments employ about 100,000 Floridians, at more than 2,000 business establishments.
- Life Sciences: Florida is a key center for cutting-edge medical and biotech research, employing more than 27,000 people. Strong collaboration with leading local universities around the life science clusters of Miami, Tampa Bay, Orlando, and Gainesville offers unique opportunities for international biotech, pharmaceutical, and medical device companies.
- Financial and Professional Services: Financial and professional service providers in Florida employ close to a million people, across a range of industry segments such as accounting and actuarial services, architectural and creative design, engineering, product research and testing, legal and arbitrage services, fintech, commercial lending and trade finance, private equity, and wealth management, among others.
- Information and Communications Technology: Boca Raton, Florida, is the birthplace of IBM’s personal computer. Today, a quarter of a million Floridians work at close to 30,000 ICT business establishments all over the state. From photonics/lasers and modeling/simulation/training to computer systems, software development, and precision control equipment, Florida is truly an ICT powerhouse.
- Logistics and Distribution: At the commercial crossroads of the Americas, Florida is a natural hub for cargo handling and value-added logistics services. The state’s 20 commercial airports, 15 deep-water seaports, and more 200,000 kilometers of highway offer easy, efficient access to markets throughout the Western Hemisphere, and beyond.
Enterprise Florida‘s Asia-Pacific Regional Office is located in Singapore. We provide information and assistance to Asian companies interested in establishing operations in Florida or identifying strategic partners in Florida. We also assist Florida companies in exporting to Asian markets, by providing specific market information and regulatory guidance, identifying potential business partners, and otherwise opening business opportunities.
Chief Representative, Asia-Pacific
Enterprise Florida Asia-Pacific Regional Office
137 Market Street, #16-01