Governor Ron DeSantis Announces Florida’s Economy Continues to Grow and Diversify for the Future
Tallahassee, Fla. (September 20, 2019) — Today, Governor Ron DeSantis announced Florida’s economy continues to grow – adding 213,000 private-sector jobs over the year in August, while maintaining a low unemployment rate of 3.3 percent. These positive economic indicators show that Florida’s low taxes and reasonable regulations continue to fuel job creation. This news comes on the heels of the announcement earlier this week of strategic steps being taken to prepare Florida’s business environment and workforce for enhanced economic growth in expanding industries such as financial technology.
Positive economic indicators for the month of August include:
- Florida’s annual private-sector job growth rate of 2.8 percent continues to outpace the national job growth rate of 1.6 percent.
- The labor force continued to grow with 143,000 entering the labor force over the year at an annual growth rate of 1.4 percent.
“We are continuing to make Florida the ideal location for businesses to grow and hire Floridians,” said Governor DeSantis. “As we continue to develop our workforce, we are expanding industries that will pave the way for future careers. The financial technology industry is booming, and we remain committed to supporting its growth.”
“Governor DeSantis is instilling confidence in our state by attracting a variety of new businesses from all industries that are ready to make jobs for Floridians,” said Executive Director of the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity Ken Lawson. “It’s important for the future workforce to feel prepared for emerging industries, including financial technology. We are committed to fostering an environment where businesses can grow, and Florida’s workforce can succeed.”
Other positive economic indicators include:
- Private-sector industries gaining the most jobs over-the-year were:
- Education and health services with 62,800 new jobs;
- Professional and business services with 46,800 new jobs;
- Leisure and hospitality with 23,500 new jobs;
- Trade, transportation and utilities with 21,900 new jobs;
- Construction with 20,900 new jobs; and
- Financial activities with 18,700 new jobs.
- Florida job postings showed 285,505 openings in August 2019
To view the August 2019 jobs report by region, please see below:
To view the August 2019 employment data visit www.floridajobs.org/labor-market-information/labor-market-information-press-releases/monthly-press-releases.