A Vast Consumer Market
Africa has become a source of optimism, progress, and economic opportunity. The continent is home to more than one billion people, presenting a massive potential consumer market for the rest of the world. Moreover, population growth remains rapid, and the United Nations forecasts that the population will surpass the 1.5 billion mark by 2026 and will reach two billion people 15 years later.
Opportunities for Florida Companies
Geographically, Florida is the closest U.S. state to Africa and Florida’s international trade infrastructure (seaports, airports, freight forwarders & customs brokers, experienced exporters to other parts of the developing world, ease of doing business in Florida) makes this state the most logical partner for trade between Africa and the Western Hemisphere.
Many African markets offer attractive opportunities for Florida’s small and medium-sized enterprises who stand to secure the most suitable opportunities and partnerships with the help of Enterprise Florida. Through its Africa Trade Expansion Program and its office in South Africa, Enterprise Florida is able to support Florida companies looking for access to African markets by offering:
- Export Counseling – The Africa Trade Specialist along with the Enterprise Florida South Africa Representative can provide counseling that includes assistance with market research, selecting target markets for your products or services, identifying market opportunities, understanding procurement policies for both private and public sector prospects, regulatory and compliance issues and more.
- Educational Events – In-state educational round-tables, seminars, and workshops on doing business with specific African countries.
- Overseas Trade Missions – Enterprise Florida will lead delegations of Florida companies and individuals to countries in Africa for one-on-one business matchmaking meetings and trade development.
- International Trade Shows – Our Trade Specialist can help identify and facilitate participation in international trade shows in Africa to help Florida companies showcase their products and services in these markets.
- Target Sector Trade Show Grants – Qualified companies can apply for a grant to help further their entry into African markets at overseas trade shows. These event-specific grants cover 50% of the cost of a trade show booth on a reimbursable basis.
- Gold Key/Matchmaker Grants – New or infrequent exporters can meet with pre-screened buyers, sales representatives and business partners in Africa with an interest in your company’s products or services. Reimbursable grants cover up to $1,000 of the matchmaker cost.
- In-Country Support – The Enterprise Florida South Africa Representative along with a team of Trade Advisors are based in South Africa, Mauritius, Kenya, Tanzania and Ghana. This in-country, multilingual network can provide specific agent / distributor searches, market research and assistance with trade missions and exhibitions in the following countries:
- Southern Africa: Angola, Botswana, DR Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Reunion, St. Helena, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Indian Ocean: Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mayotte, Reunion, Seychelles
- East Africa: Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda
- West Africa: Ghana
Please contact our Africa Trade Specialist for further information on any of these opportunities.